Posts

Scammer gets scammed, man dupes him of Rs10,000

Image
A scammer had the shock of his life after realising that the man, whom he planned to dupe, had outsmarted him and taken Rs10,000 from him. The viral incident happened when a youth, identified as Bhupendra Singh, in India’s Kanpur received an unexpected call from an unknown number, according to Indian media outlets. The caller, posing as a CBI officer, claimed to possess obscene videos of Bhupendra and threatened him with legal action. During his call, the scammer asked for a bribe to close the case, leading the Kanpur youth to suspect the claim of the caller. Read more: Software engineer loses millions in courier scam To teach him a lesson, Bhupendra devised a plan to turn the tables on the scammer that left him pleading for his money. The youth first pretended to be in panic and pleaded with the fraudster not to tell his family about his imaginary explicit videos. When the fraudster demanded INR16,000 in return to leave him alone, Bhupendra fabricated a story about pawning a g...

Trump tells Cabinet, others that Musk will leave soon, Politico reports

Image
US President Donald Trump has told members of his Cabinet and other close contacts that tech billionaire Elon Musk will soon step back from his cost-cutting government role, Politico reported on Wednesday, citing three people close to Trump. Trump has tasked the Tesla and SpaceX CEO with leading efforts through his Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) to cut government funding and dismantle various US agencies as a special government employee . Politico reported that both Trump and Musk decided in recent days that Musk will soon return to his businesses, but gave no specific date. Musk and DOGE did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the report. Shares of some companies, including government contracting companies, rose following the report. Shares of Musk’s Tesla, which were down 2 per cent in early trading after a sharper-than-expected fall in first-quarter deliveries, reversed course and were up about 5pc. It was not immediately clear if Musk would leave...

Several injured as overspeeding bus overturns at Karachi’s Drigh Road

Image
KARACHI: Several passengers sustained injuries as an overspeeding bus overturned at Drigh Road on Wednesday, ARY News reported. Rescue officials arrived at the scene and moved the injured passengers to the nearby hospitals. According to officials, the overspeeding bus was racing with another vehicle when it overturned while taking a turn on the busy road of Karachi. The actual number of injured passengers will be determined after completing the rescue operations, the officials said. Last month, a Red Bus driver was crushed to death in Malir while he was going to his duty station. Read more: Karachi accidents: Front, back cameras declared mandatory for dumpers Reports said that the victim, identified as Abdul Razzaq, a driver of Red Bus, was going to his duty when the incident happened in Malir’s Khokhrapar No. 2. The latest incident comes amid a rising number of road accidents caused by heavy vehicles in the metropolitan city. Following the road accidents, DIG Traffic Pir Muh...

Quetta records first Congo virus death of 2025

Image
Quetta has recorded its first death from Congo virus this year, as an 18-year-old patient succumbed to the disease, ARY News reported, citing hospital sources. The young man, a resident of Pishin, passed away at Fatima Jinnah General and Chest Hospital in Quetta. He was admitted to the hospital on March 29 in critical condition and placed in the isolation ward after Congo virus was confirmed in his diagnosis. This marks the first Congo virus-related death in Quetta in 2025. It is pertinent to mention here that the National Institute of Health (NIH) issued advisories for the prevention and control of CCHF. In the wake of high disease transmission, it is imperative to be vigilant about the situation and take steps to interrupt the transmission of CCHF. It explained that CCHF is caused by tick-borne Nairovirus. Animals such as cattle, goats, sheep and hares are carriers of this virus, which is transmitted to people by tick bites or through contact with infected blood or tissues duri...

President Zardari suffers from fever due to infection

Image
KARACHI: President Asif Ali Zardari is suffering from a fever caused by an infection, but there is no cause for concern about his health, ARY News reported Tuesday, citing sources. President Asif Ali Zardari has been admitted to a private hospital in Karachi after his health deteriorated late Monday night. According to hospital sources, President Zardari is undergoing treatment, and neurologists are examining him due to numbness in his fingers and toes. He has a fever due to an infection. Hospital sources reassured that there is no immediate cause for worry, adding that President Zardari has been in contact with family members by phone. Meanwhile, Prime Minister Muhammad Shehbaz Sharif enquired after the health of President Asif Ali Zardari through telephone. The premier prayed to the Allah Almighty for early recovery of the president, adding that prayers of the entire nation were with the President Asif Ali Zardari. Read More: President Zardari ‘rushed’ to hospital after health...

The certain uncertainty of wheat

With March ending relatively cool (average temperature according to meteorological officials recorded at 27.6°C), wheat crops might have had the chance to recover from earlier losses caused by smog at the tillering stage in November, loss of acreage and a long dry spell early this year. At least farmers and Punjab’s agriculture officials are hopeful, though at varying levels. Apart from a cooler March, the agriculture bureaucracy in the province also counts positive policy impacts of initiatives like subsidised solarisation of tubewells, Kissan and Livestock Cards, distribution of laser-levellers and e-credit for a better, if not bumper, crop. Based on these factors, they hope wheat will cross 21 million tonnes. Alas, these hopes are not without critique by those who base their case on the massive loss of acreage — 16.25m acres this year against 17.44m acres last year. Official average yields were recorded at 34.74 maunds per acre a year ago. There is no way the crop can even come c...

Sit-in will continue until our women reach home after being released: BNP’s Mengal

BNP-M President Sardar Akhtar Mengal said on Monday that his party’s sit-in demanding the release of arrested Baloch Yakjehti Committee (BYC) leaders will continue until “our women are released and reach their homes.” Mengal had announced a “long march” from Wadh to Quetta to protest the arrests of BYC chief organiser Dr Mahrang Baloch and other leaders as well as police crackdowns on a sit-in. However, the Quetta administration had denied the party permission for the rally. On Saturday evening, a provincial government delegation comprising Zahoor Ahmed Buledi, Bakht Muhammad Kakar and Sardar Noor Ahmed Bangulzai met Mengal and other BNP-M leaders at the party’s sit-in site in Mastung but could not convince Mengal to end the sit-in, which continued . Addressing the protesters today, Mengal said, “The sit-in will be written in history and will continue until our women reach home after being released.” “Let’s promise that until we take our imprisoned women home, it will be forbidd...